Be the first one to receive latest updates.
The post holder serves as the area safety and security focal person. S/he supports the safety and security manager with safety and security management including but not limited to building acceptance in the communities/schools, monitoring early warning indicators, contingency planning and preparedness; and implementing and constantly reviewing the effectiveness of the approved Safety and Security Management Plan for the field office.
Functions include: assessing and regularly monitoring security and safety situations in the field to determine appropriate action; maintaining a network for the exchange of reliable information on the ground situation; ensuring safety and security standards are observed in the office, vehicles, and project activity sites; lead in preparedness and execution of contingency safety and security procedures from staff security briefings to evacuation; submit incident reports; and manage day-to-day security including tracking of movements of staff and visitors and providing updated consolidated information to the senior management.
Security Situation Monitoring
• Assess and monitor security situations (i.e. threats, weather conditions) through coordination with other actors and secondary information, and determine appropriate security threat levels at all times.
• Help build and maintain a reliable network for safety & security information within Save the Children and with other actors, using networks established including United Nations organizations, international and local non-government organizations (INGOs/NGOs), and the National Disaster
• Risk Reduction Management Council (NDRRMC) regional/provincial counterparts and partner government organizations
• Submit a security update (situation analysis, actions taken, actions recommended) regularly. Humanitarian
Daily Safety & Security Management
• Led staff in preparedness for and effective execution of Safety & Security Management plans based on security level and authorized instructions including
- • Ensuring protocols and procedures are in place in the event of a security incident, from road traffic accidents to earthquakes to typhoons. This must include clear actions for both field and office-based staff, during office and out-of-office hours, and include identification of evacuation routes, and roles and responsibilities of staff.
- • Support in the rolling out and enhanced understanding of these plans amongst all staff including all-staff briefings and individual briefings.
- • Monitoring staff movement including limiting or restricting movement on location and time, accounting for staff movements, and providing updated overviews of daily movement activities.
- • Maintaining an overview of all visitors to the field office, including contact information and Residence.
- • Maintaining an overview of the residence and whereabouts of all SCP staff, including those traveling between field bases, to head office, and leaving the country. Communications monitoring including maintaining communications tree and communications tools including satellite phones
- • Checking on the suitability of buildings including the office and field-site locations, including health and safety requirements of the office, such as fire extinguishers, first aid kits for both office and vehicles, and emergency exits. Ensure recommendations are implemented.
• Ensure that safety and security standards and policies are consistently observed, particularly with relation to facilities and designated staff houses and hotels and vehicular safety. This includes fire, crime, earthquake, and typhoon safety; third-party 24-hour un-armed security guard systems; vehicle maintenance checks, fire extinguishers and first aid kits, and safety protocols for drivers. This will require working closely with the programs and support teams, particularly Logistics (Fleet & Assets), and Admin.
Situation and Incident Reporting
• Support the Project Coordinator in the event of a situation/incident including but not limited to near misses, actual or attempted: threat of or physical attack or assault; theft; vehicle accident; arrest; threat of harm to staff or property, injury, and or death.
• Support in the collection of information and documentation for incident reports, which are to be submitted to the Country Safety and Security
• Manager and line manager within 24 hours of the incident.
Contingency Planning and Execution for Extraordinary Situations
• Prepare for and execute as needed, various contingency plans as articulated in the approved Safety & Security Management Plan in the context of a humanitarian response project to cover among others
- • Medical emergencies and medical evacuation
- • Vehicular accidents
- • Disaster response
- • Evacuation
- • Suspension of office operations
- • Arrest and detention of staff
- • Death of field personnel
- • Special Tasks
May be expected to perform the following tasks if/when specially authorized: first aid, driving, managing crises during health emergencies, and managing crises during other types of emergencies including additional humanitarian response situations.
• May be expected to perform the following tasks if/when specially authorized: first aid, driving, managing crises during health emergencies, managing crises during other types of emergencies including additional humanitarian response situations.
• Leading and inspiring others - Demonstrates leadership in all our work, embodies our values, and articulates a compelling vision to inspire others to achieve our goals for children.
• Delivering results - Takes personal responsibility and holds others accountable for delivering our ambitious goals for children, continually improving their performance or that of the team/organization.
• Developing self and others - Invests time and energy to actively develop self and others to help realize their full potential, and to build the organization’s capacity for the future.
• Problem-solving and decision-making - Takes effective, considered, and timely decisions by gathering and evaluating relevant information from within or outside the organization.
• Innovating and Adapting - Develops and implements innovative solutions to adapt and succeed in ever-changing and uncertain global and working environments.
• Applying technical and professional expertise - Applies the required technical and professional expertise to the highest standards; promotes and shares best practices within and outside the organization.
• Working effectively with others - Works collaboratively to achieve shared goals and thrives on diversity of people and perspectives; knows when to lead and when to follow and how to ensure effective cross-boundary working.
• Communicating with impact - Communicates clearly and confidently with others to engage influence; promotes dialogue and ensures timely and appropriate messages, building confidence and trust.
• Networking - Builds and uses sustainable relationships and networks to support the work of MCI
• At least a BSc or Equivalent
• Previous experience in implementing and managing safety and security situations for large groups of staff.
• Can work well in highly stressful situations
• Conscientious and thorough when following processes
• Good communicator with excellent written and spoken English
• Computer literate and adept in the use of MS Office software, particularly Excel for the management of trackers and contact lists
• Highly organized, with good attention to detail and developed ability to prioritize multiple tasks to meet tight deadlines and organize work
• Team player, good at building cross-team relationships
• Previous experience of working for an NGO is desirable
• Experience in other areas of NGO operations, i.e. logistics, operations, and technical sectors.
• Previous experience as an NGO security officer.
• Experience in designing and delivering Training.
• Operational experience in post war / disaster-affected environments with other NGOs, military, police, or other background.
Other Requirement (Language(s) proficiency)
• Fluency in written and spoken English. Fluency in Hausa/Kanuri is an advantage.
Application should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org, Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.